City data is not provided by WhatCounts. If a subscriber does not have a city data in their profile, they will not be included in the Segment.
Make all data consistent. Double check how data is being stored in a particular field by doing a Subscriber Export to ensure all Subscribers are included in the appropriate segment. For example, to target New York City Subscribers, should your Segmentation Rule use "NYC" or "New York" (or both)? A Subscriber Export will help answer that question.
To target Subscribers with no value, use both "Equals" [nothing] and "Is Null" conditions in your Segmentation Rule. This will cover subscribers who once had a value that was blanked out, as well as the Subscribers who never had a value in that field
How we can help:
If you do not have City or other geographic data for your subscribers please contact your Customer Success Manager and they can work with you to append this data to your email records via our 3rd party solution providers.
How to Set up:
Since City field is a standard field in the subscriber table, you do not need to create a custom field for this data.
STEP #1: CREATE SEGMENTATION RULE
- Create a specific Segmentation rule by clicking “Add” on the Segmentation Page
- Click on Gear Button in the upper left to add the Rule Properties
- Segmentation Name = The name of city (e.g.: New York)
- Segmentation Description = Subscribers located in (City)
- For this we will create as many Segmentation Rules as needed for targeting purposes
- Save all Segments under the Geographic Segmentation Folder
STEP #2: ADD CONDITIONS
- Select “Subscribers” table by clicking the arrow
- Drag “City” field onto the canvas
- Select “Equals” as the operator field
- Text = New York
- Repeat for each city
- Make a Segmentation Rule for subscribers that do not have a city in their profile as well so you can target those subscribers differently. The Segmentation Rule should have a condition where “City” “Equals” [nothing] as well as another condition where the “City” “Is Null”