Why are special characters displaying as question marks (?) or other strange characters in my Template?
If you have copied your content from an external program, such as Microsoft Word, special characters like curly quotes, en-dashes, and trademark symbols may show up as question marks.
If you are using MS Word, you can create a pure ASCII file from your Word content and then copy and paste the ASCII version into your Template:
- Open your file in Microsoft Word.
- Go to SAVE AS > OTHER FORMATS in MS Word 2007, or FILE > SAVE AS in MS Word XP.
- Enter a file name
- From 'Save as type', select 'Plain Text (*.txt)'.
- Click SAVE.
- From File Conversion, select 'Other encoding', then choose "US-ASCII" from the options and "Allow character substitution".
- Click OK.
- Close and then reopen the .txt document in TextPad (http://www.textpad.com) to view the text as ASCII.
- Copy the content and then paste in to your Template.