The Automation Workflow defines the actions, checks, connections, and paths each subscriber record will follow to complete the Campaign.
A Automation Workflow is built by defining Automation Workflow Actions and then connecting the Actions with paths. Each Action has one incoming connection. Most Actions have at least one outgoing connection, but may have up to two outgoing connections.
Creating a Workflow is similar in both Automation Definitions and Automation Campaigns. The main difference is in setting fields for Lists, List Definitions, Templates, Data Tables and Fields, and Campaigns. In a Definition, the fields are locked and save with a placeholder. These fields show "Set a Value in Automation Campaign" and cannot be changed in the Definition.
However, you cannot save an Automation Campaign without setting these required fields in each Action. For example, if you drag a Deploy Email action to your workflow, but have no Template to assign to the action, you are unable to save the Campaign. Therefore, be sure to create all Lists, List Definitions, Templates, Data Fields, and related Campaigns before you begin editing an Automation Campaign.
To Build a Workflow
- Open to edit your Automation Definition or Automation Campaign.
- Drag an Action from the Campaign Builder on the left into the workspace.
- Click the Action to open the Action pop-up.
- Set the Action options, then click SAVE.
- Repeat steps 2 - 4 as often as necessary.
- Connect each Action in the desired order.
- Click SAVE to save the Automation Workflow.
To move an Action (and the connected Path lines), mouse over the Action until it changes from white to dark blue. Left click then hold down the mouse button, and use the mouse to move the Action in the Workspace. If you move the Action to the top, bottom, or right of the workspace, it will resize the area and a scroll bar will appear so you can view the rest of the workspace.
To open an Action for editing, mouse over the title of the Action to see a pointing finger cursor. Click the Action. The Action pop-up will display.
To delete an Action, mouse over the Action until it changes from white to dark blue. Right click on the Action, then select DELETE. The Action will be removed from the workspace.
WARNING: There is no option to cancel or undo deleting an Action.
To connect two Actions, mouse over the Action to see the white connection dots. Hover over the connection dot to sese the cursor with the large white and small black arrow. Left click then hold down the mouse button and drag the Path to the next Action's connection dot.
To move a Path, click the Path to select it. Mouse over a corner to see the up/down arrow cursor, left click then hold down the mouse button, and use the mouse to move the Path line.
To delete a Path, click the Path to select it. Press the DELETE button on the keyboard.
WARNING: There is no option to cancel or undo deleting a Path.
- Each Workflow path must end with a termination point. A path can terminate at either an END Action or a Move to Campaign Action.
- The outgoing connection path for each Action must be connected to one other Action.
- Only the first Action does not require an incoming connection.
- If a Path is missing, you will receive an error on save.
- If an Action is missing a setting, you will receive an error on save. The error will indicate the type of Action that contains the failure.