Although the platform allows you to create multiple lists, companies often have one or only a few lists and take advantage of customer data to form important groupings, or segments. Some uses for segmentation include separating lists by:
- membership status
- purchase history
- locale, such as city, state or zip/postal code
Each contact record includes the ability to store general data such as first and last name, address, and phone. In addition, you can create custom fields. Segmentation Rules can be created to take advantage of nearly all data related to a customer, including many tracking events.
The following four segmentation methods are available:
- Standard Segmentation: Complex rules editable through a drag and drop user interface.
- Advanced Segmentation: Complex rules manually created using a query like language.
- n-Way Segmentation: Enhanced or simple** wizards to split a list into n number of segments by setting a number in a custom field for each contact in a list.
- Event-Based Segmentation: Wizard to define events and campaigns on which to segment a list.
Accessing Segmentation Rules
All Segmentation Rules are accessed from the Lists menu. To access the Segmentation Rules, go to LISTS > SEGMENTATION > VIEW SEGMENTATION RULES. This will open the Segmentation Rules page displaying a list of all existing rules.
The Segmentation Rules page lists the following details for each Rule:
Click the name of the Segmentation Rule to access the Rule’s settings.
A short description of the Segmentation Rule.
Date the rule was created.
The rule type: Standard or Advanced. N-Way Rules are considered Standard. Older systems that have been upgraded may also see the type 'Simple', which will open in the Standard Segmentation editor.
*NOTE: The Simple version of the n-Way wizard has been removed as of the v11.9.0 release.