N-Way sampling allows you to segment a list into any number of groupings of subscribers. With these groupings you can run separate campaigns testing subscriber reactions to content, offers, and subject lines. The resulting n-Way Segmentation Rules look similar to a Standard Segmentation Rule.
The Simple n-Way samples are split equally and may be determined using either a linear or random method. In an example group of 3,000 subscribers broken into three segments, a linear, equal separation would assign the first 1,000 subscribers to segment 1 by subscriber ID number, the second 1,000 to segment 2, and the last 1,000 to segment 3. In a random segment, each subscriber in the list would be assigned to a segment in a random manner.
Samples can be created for the whole list or a segment of the list. To test an offer to three groups out of a million subscriber list, select a segmentation that first finds about 100,000 subscribers – perhaps those belonging a certain state or matching other criteria. Then, use the n-way wizard to split up that sub-group three ways.
*NOTE: The Simple version of the n-Way wizard has been removed as of the v11.9.0 release.
To Add a Simple N-Way Segmentation Rule
- Go to SEGMENTATION > CREATE N-WAY RULES or go to SEGMENTATION > SEGMENTATION RULES, then click the arrow next to ADD, and select Add N-Way Rule.
For versions prior to 9.8.0, go to LISTS > SEGMENTATION > CREATE N-WAY RULES.
- Select a List.
- Select a Segmentation rule if you wish to create the n-Way segments based on a segment of the main list.
- Select the Type of method to choose the subscribers for each segment: Linear based on the Subscription date or Randomly.
- Enter the Number of Segments to create.
- Select a custom field to Apply Pattern. This field must be of type Number. If any Subscribers have data stored in the custom field you selected, this data will be cleared for all Subscribers in your database when the rules are created.
If you have not created a custom field yet, click Create a Custom Field and then create a field of type Number. Then return to the n-Way wizard to create the rules.
- Select to Create Rules.
- Enter a Name for your new rules. This will be appended with the segment number.
- Click SUBMIT.
The custom field will be cleared for every Subscriber in the realm, then refilled with the new segment value for only the Subscribers in the n-Way samples. Once the subscribers are assigned to their segments, the new rules will be created. To access the new rules, go to SEGMENTATION > SEGMENTATION RULES.