Remarketing allows you to create a segmentation rule based on contact events for one or more campaigns associated with a single list. Remarketing is only available in versions 8.7 to 9.11. Lifecycle replaced Remarketing in 10.0.
Remarketing is a way to send follow up messages to contacts based on the response to past campaigns. For instance, if you send a series of announcements for a new product, some contacts will open (read) and click the link and others may open only. Based on your assesment of the interest, you may send a follow up remarketing campaign as a reminder to those who only read each initial campaign, and a then a separate coupon as an incentive to buy to those who clicked a specific link.
The Deploy Remarketing wizard will step you through the process of selecting your contact list, the related campaigns, and the events per campaign to create a unique remarketing segmentation rule. This rule can be reused to schedule future campaigns or export contacts, but unlike standard segmentation rules, it cannot be manually edited once created.
Deploying a Remarketing Campaign
To create a remarketing segment and deploy a campaign:
- Go to TASKS > DEPLOY REMARKETING.
- Select a List of contacts to begin a remarketing campaign, then click NEXT. Be sure to select a list that has contacts and campaigns associated with it. Super Lists are not available for remarketing.
- Select campaigns to create your remarketing segment filtered by campaign sent date. The remarketing segment will search for contacts in ANY of the selected campaigns, for example: Campaign A OR Campaign B OR Campaign C To find campaigns:
- Enter a From and To date in the format mm/dd/yyyy to find Campaigns run within the range. Click the Calendar icon next to the textbox to browse for a date. The From date is required. The To date will default to today's date if left blank.
- Optionally, enter a Minimum number of pieces sent. Only campaigns that have been sent to at least that number of contacts will be included in the search results. For example, if you run test segments to 10 contacts each, and only want to report on the full campaigns to your contact base, enter a number greater than 10. If you enter 11, all campaigns sent to 11 or more contacts will be found.
- Optionally, enter part or all of the alias associated to the campaign in the Campaign Name contains field. Only campaigns with an alias matching all or part of the text string will be included in the search results. For example, if you have three campaigns with the string "Monthly" in the alias, all campaigns for those three names will be found.
- Click VIEW RESULTS. All Campaigns matching the search criteria will be displayed including Campaign ID, Campaign Alias, Segmentation Rule Name, Template Name, Date Sent, and Pieces Sent.
- You may select up to a maximum number of campaigns, depending on your system settings. This number will be displayed on the page. Select one or more campaigns, then click NEXT. If you select more than the maximum allowed campaigns, an error will display a reminder and allow you to adjust your selections.
- Select one or more tracking events for each campaign. The remarketing segment will search for contacts with ALL selected events for that campaign. Different events can be selected for each campaign, for example:
- Contacts in Campaign A who have opened AND clicked OR
- Contacts in Campaign B who have opened AND soft bounced
- Each campaign will be listed with the Campaign ID, Campaign Alias, and Sent Date. Click Expand All to display the tracking options for every campaign, or individually click the arrow next to a campaign to expand the section one at a time.
- Expanded campaigns will display a table of Events. Select one or more events for each campaign. If you select multiple events for a single campaign, the remarketing segment will search for contacts who have performed every selected event. NOTE: Contacts who have Hard Bounced or Opted Out will likely NOT be subscribed to any lists. Selecting these events may result in a segment of 0 contacts, unless you have reimported these contacts for some reason; however, reimporting Hard Bounced or Opted Out contacts is not recommended.
- Click NEXT.
- Once you have selected campaigns and events, the Deploy Campaign wizard will display. The List and the Segmentation Rule created from your remarketing selections will be selected by default. Choose a Template and set the message Format. You may also define a Campaign Name (Alias) and other Advanced Settings, then click NEXT.
- Continue through the Deploy Campaign options to the Confirmation page. Double check all the settings, and click UPDATE COUNTS to determine the number of contacts that match the remarketing segment.
- Click SEND to launch the remarketing campaign.
Deploying a Remarketing Campaign Based on Track Sends
Some systems have the ability to track when a message is sent to each individual contact. Track Sends is a limited feature not available for all systems and configurations.
Sent or Not Sent Campaign
If your system has Track Sends enabled, you will see additional options in Step 4 for each campaign. This will allow you to target contacts who were SENT a campaign or were NOT SENT a campaign. You may select a combination of Sent and/or Not Sent to create your segment.
For instance, you may want to deploy a campaign to contacts who were sent two product launch campaigns and not send a follow up coupon campaign. The rule would target contacts who were:
- Sent Campaign A OR
- Sent Campaign B OR
- Not Sent Campaign C
Did or Did Not Event
Once you have selected campaigns, the next page again allows you to select events in Step 5. You can only select events for Sent campaigns, since not sent campaigns have no associated tracking events. For Sent campaigns, in addition to targeting contacts who Did perform an event, you can target contacts who Did Not perform events.
Using the example above, for the contacts sent a launch campaign, you may want to target those who Did Open (Read) the message but Did Not click any link. The resulting segmentation rule would essentially find contacts who were:
- Sent Campaign A and Opened but Did Not Click OR
- Sent Campaign B and Opened but Did Not Click OR
- Not Sent Campaign C