Types of Segments
The Segment Management page displays a full list of segments that falls under three types.
- Default segments created by WhatCounts
- User-created segments
- Custom-made segments created by WhatCounts according to client specifications, when applicable
Segment Customer Data
The data displayed for each segment provides a unique snapshot of the customers within. This data is valuable for both understanding the characteristics of the segment, and also prioritizing which customer groups are most valuable and therefore most important to be regularly engaging.
The total number of customers* within the segment is shown on the left.
Further details about these customers are displayed across the bottom.
- Total revenue contributed across lifetime
- Total number of orders placed across lifetime
- Average order value (AOV)
- Customer lifetime value (CLV)
- Order latency in days (how many average days it takes to make their next purchase)
Note: All information on the Segment Management page is displayed as ‘lifetime’ data. This means that it relates to all available data that WhatCounts has for customer, order and product data and is not filtered by date ranges.
* The number of customers in a segment within the WhatCounts Segment Builder may be higher than the number that displays in your Email Service Provider. This is because the number of customers is typically higher within your eCommerce platform compared to the number within your ESP. The most common cause of this difference is customers who have unsubscribed from your email list. Once they unsubscribe, their data is no longer pushed to the ESP, but it is still accessible in WhatCounts.
To send a segment to your Email Service Provider, click on the green button. When the button is clicked, we begin the process of loading the segment into your ESP. This process can take up to 24 hours to complete.
Additional statuses that appear are:
- The segment has not yet been sent to the Email Service Provider
The gear icon on the right allows you to perform several actions:
- Edit - Directs back to the segment builder so that you can both view and change the segmentation
- Duplicate - Creates a copy of the segment
- Download - Downloads a .csv file of the email addresses in the segment with options to include customers' First Name, Last Name, Shipping Address, and Billing Address
- Deactivate/Activate - Allows you to essentially pause and play the segment